Bamboo toothbrushes may appear as though they are a contemporary invention as a means to do away with plastic toothbrushes, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, the remains of the oldest set of toothbrushes ever found were made using bamboo, animal hair and bone, as far back as the 7th century.
Bamboo toothbrushes have gained renewed popularity around the world because of their biodegradable properties, conversely, disposed plastic toothbrushes take thousands of years to breakdown, whereas bamboo will decompose as fast as a twig from a tree.
Over the past few years, more and more of us have begun to realise the need to adopt greener lifestyles and reduce our impact on the planet.
At Strive, we began our business after becoming frustrated with the quality of the biodegradable toothbrushes on the market, and in this blog, we’re discussing the many benefits of using a bamboo toothbrush.
Why Are Bamboo Toothbrushes Environmentally Friendly?
Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants on the planet. Not only does it boast impressive growth rates, but it is also completely biodegradable, which is why it’s perfect for making toothbrush handles.
We recommend that a toothbrush is changed every three months, which is why bamboo is ideal since you can recycle the nylon bristles and throw your bamboo handle onto your compost heap after use, rather than contributing to increasing landfill waste.
How Long Do Bamboo Toothbrushes Last?
Assuming you’re keeping your toothbrush dry and you’re thoroughly swilling it after each use, you’ll get just as much use from bamboo toothbrushes as you would with a plastic toothbrush – and all without the negative impacts on the environment.
To ensure that your toothbrush is fit for purpose and is able to keep your teeth clean and healthy, it’s imperative that you’re changing your toothbrush every three months, as we’ve already mentioned.
What Are the Benefits Our Using a Bamboo Toothbrush?
The Strive bamboo toothbrushes have soft nylon bristles that are comfortable and gentle against the enamel of your teeth. However, they are still effective in removing stains and plaque, which is essential for maintaining good oral health.
Bamboo toothbrushes come with many benefits that are ideal for use for yourself and your family, such as:
- Reducing Environmental Impact – When you think of a single plastic toothbrush, it may seem inconsequential. But, when you consider that the average person goes through about 300 toothbrushes in their lifetime, the problem becomes far clearer. On the other hand, bamboo toothbrushes do not require a considerable amount of natural resource during production and the handle, as we’ve mentioned, is entirely compostable. Standard nylon four bristles can also be thrown into a recyclable container and into your recycling bin, as long as they are separated from the toothbrush head.
- Sustainability – The bamboo plant is the fastest growing plant in the world, and has even been recorded to grow at 91cm in a single day! Due to its antimicrobial properties, bamboo plants do not require harmful pesticides or fertilisers to facilitate growth.
- Design Aesthetics – Bamboo toothbrushes are stylish, distinctive and elegant, and the attractive packaging contributes to the eco-friendly vibe that this product establishes.
- Improved Oral Hygiene – As we’ve mentioned, the bamboo plant contains natural antimicrobial properties that prevent bacterial growth in your mouth. During brushing, these agents help to fight the causes of plaque, bad breath and overall poor oral hygiene. On the other hand, plastic toothbrushes are made from chemicals such as polypropylene and polyethene, which have been known to cause severe medical issues, once in the human bloodstream.
- Inexpensive – In most cases, there is a slight price difference between bamboo and plastic toothbrushes. While bamboo options are often slightly more expensive, the good news is, at Strive we offer a subscription service, which will not only save you money but also guarantee that you have a new toothbrush delivered to your door every three months.
In the end, the most important thing is that we do everything we can, no matter how small it may seem, to protect the planet and our over-reliance on unsustainable natural resources.
By choosing a bamboo toothbrush, not only are you getting an improved teeth cleaning experience, which improves your oral health, but you’re doing your bit to protect the environment and rid the planet of harmful plastics.
If you have any other bamboo toothbrush benefits that you’d like to share with us and our community, find us on Facebook here >